It's amazing how much reading-because-I-have-to makes me want to read for fun. Of course, I don't need much encouragement to read for fun. Something about being forced to read... and not just read, but comprehend, analyze, and remember... It's a pain. What else is a pain? Papers. I hate papers. I always have, and I always will. I am someone who has major issues getting what is in my head out on paper. Especially since it's been about 5 years since I had any practice. After several short stories and poems, after analyzing them into two different papers, and two different essay tests, I've taken a mini-break. Jurassic Park (one of my very favorite books) has been my friend. I usually keep this book by my bed. I've read it so many times, I can pick it up, read a few chapters, and not touch it again for a month, and be totally fine with that. Sometimes, I just feel like reading about dinosaurs.
I've got a decent list growing on my Kindle, too. I finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Unlike my dear Mollie, I actually enjoyed it. I look forward to reading the second book in the trilogy.
My husband decided he was going to see what all this mess about the Hunger Games was about. He read the first one really fast. He liked it, but said it was a bit girly... and he would change a number of things. Basically, he had the same complaints about Catching Fire. He started Mockingjay, but asked me to tell him what happens, because it was too girly for him, and he had too many problems with it. I obliged, but I kinda forgot what happened myself. I guess I'll need to re-read them at some point. After the movies, though. If I'm going to see the movie, I can't read the book too recently.
In another day or two, I'll have go get back to work.
One good thing I have learned from this class is I actually do enjoy poetry. I never thought I would ever enjoy it. Turns out, I just didn't know how to read it properly. I'm still not great at analyzing it, though. Thank goodness for the internet and smarter people than me!
Posting once a month is cool. Like, a period.
ReplyDeleteSo I tried to read a chapter of Catching Fire and video'ed it... Damn thing was 15 minutes too long. Couldn't upload it for you. Am glad you're liking poetry. Shel Silverstein, anyone?
As long as you keep posting, I'm happy. I remember the days of being forced to read and how that sucked all my joy away. All I wanted to do was read for pleasure, and I couldn't. Ugh.
ReplyDeleteYour husband reading Hunger Games reminds me of when I read the Twilight series. I read the first book, then couldn't stomach the others, so my husband (who strangely enough had read the entire series) had to tell me everything that happened. I was just curious enough to want to know.