Wednesday, May 25, 2011

30 Days of Books- Days 9 and 10... and avoiding my youth?

Day 9 is a book I've read more than once. Do people seriously not reread books? The list would be shorter if I told you the books I have NOT read more than once. In an effort to put something here, though, I will give a few books that I have read the most.

All of the Harry Potter books. I lost count after I read Goblet of Fire 10 times.
I've read the rest at least that many by now, except for Deathly Hallows, which I've only read 3 times.
But I've also listened to it on audiobook once, so I guess that makes 4 times.

Jurassic Park.. probably around 5 times.
Actually, pick a Michael Crichton book, and it's likely I've read it more than once.


Day 10 is the first novel I remember reading. I think I'm going to have to go with Harriet the Spy. It was turned into a movie not long after I read it, I think. I looked on Amazon, but I don't know if I can't seem to find it, or if it was republished with a different cover? Here is the cover on my copy: 

I found this picture on this blog... where the writer mentions reading this book as an adult, and having a completely different reaction to it. I loved it as a kid.. I wonder many times of reading stuff again as an adult.. what would I see differently? I have this same dilemma when I watch tv shows or movies that are ever present in my childhood memories. Should I ruin Saved by the Bell by watching it now? My crushes of Zach's smile and A.C.'s muscles? My wishes that I looked like Kelly in her ridiculously short and flowery early 90s dresses? (Btw, a far cry for the chubbster I was)

I admit, I have caught a few episodes of SBTB fairly recently. It was borderline painful. Maybe I have just such a hatred of high school that I don't even care to see other people in high school. Doing their little unimportant things that seem like SUCH a big deal to them. (Sidenote: I'm afraid I'll be a terrible parent when my kid gets to high school age. "Do you know how dumb prom is? Here, I'll give you $200, and we'll go to the mall instead, ok?") 

Has anyone else ruined parts of their childhood by trying to relive it?

1 comment:

  1. Have had the recent and saddening experience of a beloved movie from childhood being not so cool now.

    Spiderman 2. It sucks now. Did it suck then?

    Smurfs. Smurfy smurf Smurfs really big smurfing smurf.

    Chuckled at "I lost count..." because I'm like, yeh, that's me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love comments <3